There are various menstrual problems
Menstruation in Ayurveda: The menstrual cycle is the regular natural change that occurs in the female reproductive system (specifically the uterus and ovaries) that makes pregnancy possible. The cycle is required for the production of oocytes, and for the preparation of the uterus for pregnancy. Up to 80% of women report having some symptoms during the one to two weeks prior to menstruation. Common symptoms include acne, tender breasts, bloating, feeling tired, irritability and mood changes. These symptoms interfere with normal life and therefore qualify as premenstrual syndrome in 20 to 30% of women. In 3 to 8%, they are severe.
Usually menstruation lasts 3-4 days, some has up to 7 days. 10-80 ml blood could be eliminated depend on the person. Every women need properly educate themselves about menstruation. Some women will have premenstrual dysphoric disorder, which will cause headache, vomiting, abdominal pain, bloating in the belly, anxiety etc. Usually, it happens due to excess Pitta dosha which is in the body.
A menstrual cycle consists of 28 days, which we divide in to three main periods.
- “Raja Srava” period – The first four days of the cycle where you will have the bleeding.
- ”Rudhu” period – It is the time period between 12-16 days, in modern term they call it as ovulation period, almost women conceive during this period.
- “Rudhu Adeetha” period – This is from 16-28 days, usually eggs releasing period.
Here we are going to discuss about “Secondary amenorrhea” which is called absence of menstruation.
If a woman has missed three or more menstrual cycle in a raw, we call it absence of menstruation.
There are many reason for this menstrual problem
- Nutritional deficiency
- Diseases such as Thyroid problem, PCOD, Diabates, Anemia etc
Other than medicine there are so many home remedies, which will help to restore the menstrual cycle.
- Using black gram in food daily
- Include sesame seeds in daily foods
- Using sesame seeds oil
- Using spices such as cumin seed, coriander, mustard, fenugreek, garlic etc
Above all are recommended in restoring the menstrual cycle to normal
Click this link to view the video about Secondary Amenorrhea.
– Dr Subajanane Jeyanthan, Niyanthree Ayurveda Clinic, Colombo, Sri Lanka –