Stomach Bloating !
Flatulence (Anaha)/ stomach bloating:
Ama (undigested food), or sakrt(faeces) gradually accumulated inside the Alimentary tract because of mithyahara ( improper food habits) are obstructed from moving out by the prakopa (aggravated) Vata dosha and not eliminated through the natural routes i.e- upward for ama and downward for purisha (faeces) causes severe distension in the abdomen. This condition is known as Anaha / stomach bloating.
There are 2 types- based on the obstructing material:
- Amaja anaha9 bloating due to undigested food)
- Purishaja anaha ( bloating caused due to faeces
Amaja anaha symptoms:
- Running nose
- Burning sensation in the head
- Pain and heaviness in the stomach
- Obstruction of belching
Purishaja anaha symptoms:
- Stiffness (loss of movement) of the waist and back
- Constipation / difficulty in elimination of faeces and urine
- Pain in the abdomen
- Faecal vomiting
Ayurveda treatment for bloated stomach (anaha):
- Anaha caused by undigested food (ama)- vamana therapy followed by liquid diet with agnidipana (hunger boosting medicines)
- Anaha caused by faeces – if there is no faecal vomiting then ama should be treated by swedana and pachana dravya and udavarta treatment.
- Dviutara Hingvadi churna- made from hingu vaca kusta, swarjiksara and vidanga in double dose is highly useful.
- vacadi churna
- trivrtadi vati – trivrt, haritaki, and syama are grounded with latex of snuhi and made in to pills. 1 pill with gomutra as anupana. It causes purgation and cures anaha.
- Rathadi varti- should be inserted into anus in case of pain in anaha.
- avipattikara churna- 5gm with hot water at bed time.
- Liquid food ex- rice soup,
- Light foods
- Day sleep
- Late night sleep
- Bakery items
- Fast foods
- Soft drinks
- Non vegetarian foods
- High protein
- Oily foods
- Heavy foods
- Astringent taste foods
– Dr Subajanane Jeyanthan –